In sunshine and native bush, this entirely private, passive-house inspired cabin, with rugged volcanic peaks and protected forest in view, offers real comfort for an enjoyable off-grid getaway.
Explore Whangaparapara Harbour and Aotea Conservation Park tracks on foot from the doorstep, or relax at the Cabin, taking in park views and the birdlife with coffees or coldies at hand.
It's a 15min scenic drive, in a 2WD, from Claris Airport to 1.5 acres of bush all to yourself, with Barrier's favourite boat excursions and e-bike tours within reach.
INSIDE THE CABIN
Living, dining and well equipped kitchen are combined in one light-filled room, opening to sheltered, north facing outdoors.
One queen bedroom, under the low attic ceiling, is ideal for two guests. Extras can be accommodated on the foldout bed downstairs, or a second bed in the attic.
Hobson Cabin's off-grid bathroom has city style hot shower, flush toilet and hand basin.
Service includes linen, towels, eco toiletries, tea, milk etc. Local help is available if needed.
GUESTS MIGHT LIKE TO....
- Explore sheltered, tidal areas of Whangaparapara from kayaks - free for guests to use
- Hike to a summit above the harbour, for panoramic views of Island and sea
- Soak in natural hot pools or a nearby waterfall, reached by easy bush walks
- Birdwatch for nesting kingfishers, endangered wading birds, diving gannets, kaka and many others
- Stargaze at Barrier's Dark Sky sanctuary from Hobson Cabin, with the sound of waves lapping from the harbour below
TIPS FOR A GREAT BARRIER GETAWAY
So that Go Great Barrier can help you if bad weather or unforeseen circumstances call for a change of plans, packaging accommodation along with travel bookings to, from and across the island is recommended.
Taking a ferry ride through the Hauraki Gulf one way and flight the other, can turn travel to and from Aotea/Great Barrier into a scenic tour of the sculptured land and sparkling sea. Book a local driver to complete the loop.
Plan for patchy phone coverage and limited solar power on the 100% off-grid island. At the Cabin, a slow connection to Vodaphone/2° can usually be made. There is power for charging electronics, but not enough to plug in a hair dryer.
Gallery: (click to enlarge...)
$240 per night for two guests - two nights minimum stay.
$40 per extra guest - maximum two extra adults
Children under twelve sharing one extra bed are charged as one adult.
No charge for children under two using a cot provided by guests.
* A one off open up, welcome, clean and linen fee of $70 applies to all bookings.